A ROSE-mantic Treat
Well by now I think everyone knows how much of an utter fan I am of roses. I love them growing in my garden and I love them as cut flowers in the house either brought in from the garden or bought in a shop. Now I am here to share my love of roses in cooking! And no before anyone says I am not talking about the chocolate kind of roses that you get in a tin! Even though they are extremely lovely!! I am talking about rose petals.
I have made this recipe before but I thought the fact I made it over the weekend was a very fitting time to share it with you all. You see on the day I made them I got a subtle reminder from Facebook that it was in fact my four year anniversary with my girlfriend Ciara! Now before you say I am terrible that I forgot, I didn’t! I just didn’t think it was Sunday and either did Ciara so really we are as bad as each other which makes it perfect!
With this in mind I think this recipe for rose petal cookies is a great treat to make for that special person in your life! Or equally to impress visitors that call to your house!
It is important to note however that when using rose petals in cooking you should never use ones from a supermarket and you only use ones that you are sure are free from chemical bug sprays.
When I was making these I was struck by the beauty of the dough as I rolled it out (See Below). I loved the specks of rose petals throughout it. I posted a picture on Facebook but no one could guess what it was! For an extra finish, something I did not do this time, you can sprinkle the cookies with chopped rose petals just before they go into the oven for added decoration.
Rose Petal Cookies
- 175g plain flour
- 125g butter (cut into cubes)
- one hand full of fresh rose petals (chopped)
- 50g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line two baking trays with baking paper
- Place the flour, butter, rose petals and sugar in a bowl.
- Using your hands mix the ingredients together until it forms a soft ball
- On a floured board roll out the dough and cut into rectangles
- Place the cookies on the prepared tray and prick with a fork
- Sprinkle with extra caster sugar and as an extra option chopped rose petals
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are just lightly coloured
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before gently transferring to wire tray to cool fully