Beyond The Messy Kitchen – Lemon Curd
It has been so long since I have added a recipe to Beyond the Messy Kitchen and I decided today was the perfect day to change this!
While this clearly isn’t a food blog, I do feel that food and gardening go hand in hand! From the fool proof cupcakes to enjoy over a cup of tea after a long day in the garden to embracing wild garlic in a great wild garlic pesto, it goes together perfectly. With my expanding vegetable garden I have many ideas to preserve and use all the goodies that I grow down there and this will be the perfect spot to share them all with you.
So to kick off 2014 I have a great recipe for a lovely tangy lemon curd for you all. I have always loved lemon curd and could easily sit down and eat it from the jar with a spoon! When I do refrain from eating it straight from the jar, I love to use it on toast or mixed with cream and crushed meringue shells for a quick dessert.
Lemon Curd Recipe
- 3 lemons (Zest and juice)
- 350g sugar
- 110g butter
- 4 free-range eggs
- Using a vegetable peeler remove the zest from the lemons
- Place the lemon zest and sugar in a food processor and blend till fine
- Cream butter and sugar lemon mixture until pale
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition
- Combine the lemon juice and mix well
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan
- Heat over a medium flame whisking constantly
- When the mixture thickens remove from the heat and allow to cool before placing in to jars