Elderflower and Strawberry Cake
To continue on my love affair with Elderflowers and to enjoy its great summery taste, I decided to make this great little cake.
I became inspired by a cake that my good friend Fiona made a few weeks earlier. Fiona runs a great online bakery called LouLou Bakery make sure to check it out. Her cake I will admit hands down was much better than mine and was much more elaborate. It was a true celebration cake! This one I think is an everyday version, that is perfect for a summer party or after dinner with a cup of tea!
I have two versions for decorating this cake one is simple while the other is a bit more elaborate and impressive. I think both are equally as nice though.
220g/8oz butter, softened
220g/8oz caster sugar
4 large eggs
220g/8oz self raising flour, sifted
7-8 DSP elderflower cordial
Punnet of Irish Strawberries
250ml Cream (Optional 250ml extra)
1. Line two sandwich tins with grease-proof paper
2. In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
3. Add the eggs one by one, combining well after each addition
4. Fold the sifted flour in
5. Combine 4-5 dsp of elderflower cordial
6. Cook for 30 mins
7. Remove from the over and allow to cool fully on a wire rack
8. Beat the cream and 3-4 dsp of elderflower cordial to stiff peak stage
9. Dice the punnet of strawberries and combine with the elderflower cream
10. Sandwich the two cakes together with the elderflower and strawberry mixture
Option Two :
To make the covered version of the cake make a second batch of the elderflower cream and cover the cake generously with it. As you can see my icing skills are not the best but I think you get the idea from the picture below